Braojos is a municipality of Spain belonging to the community of Madrid. It is included in the area of influence of the port of Somosierra, traditional passage of the so-called "path of France", and in his term is also the port of bunkers. In 2014 had a population of 200 inhabitants.
What to visit
San Vicente Mártir Church
As recorded in the parish archives of San Vicente Mártir Church, its construction began in 1601 on the ruins of a military tower built in the 14th century. Its construction lasted until 1610, Although it was rebuilt in Baroque style during the 17TH century, using stone with corners of Ashlar masonry. It presents an original gothic Tower and a plant form of Latin cross and two ships. Its interior preserves an altarpiece of 1633 by Gregorio Fernández and two tables with the Apostles Juan el Evangelista and Santiago el Mayor hispanoflamencas related to the master of the Luna.1 located at the highest point of the village, in lathe it is structured the area above, While the below did around the plaza del Sol, where is located the City Hall.
The Tower consists of four floors. In the lower Chapel of the Tabernacle and the image of our Lady of Buen Suceso is installed, Patron Saint of the town, in a 12th-century carving now disfigured due to a bad restoration in 1950. This Chapel is closed with original oak doors. A small museum which include carvings of San Francisco is located on the second floor, San Antonio and a Christ tied to a column. In addition to various ornaments, one of the best parts is a chalice and custody of the 17TH century.
The third and fourth floor give access to the Bell Tower. In the atrium or space under the choir, the 15th century baptismal font is installed. In this Atrium is an image of the crucified Christ from the 14th century. Between the years 1985 and 1994 This church was restored with funding from the community of Madrid.
Hermitage of the Buen Suceso
On the road to La Serna del Monte, one kilometre from Braojos, the Ermita del Buen Suceso is located. From the 17TH century and was restored in 1985. It has a rectangular plan with three naves and is built in masonry on a plinth topped with stone tiles. On the head there is a rectangular dome that houses a dome. On the outside, at the foot, rises a small belfry which serves as a Bell Tower.
In addition to del potro's branding and some samples of folk architecture, disseminated by the Uptown, There is a monumental fountain with water trough in Braojos, dated at 1902 and built by the founders of the town, ancestors of Sedano, whose water comes from a spring.
The origin of Braojos is unknown, Although some historians pointed out the possibility that it was a Celtic Foundation because the prefix "Bra-", meaning "brushwood of trees". However, It seems more likely to be a core founded after the Reconquista. The first settlement, not documented until the middle ages, It was made by shepherds and small terraces of crops the remainder of the territory dedicated to communal pastures were organized around it. The interior of the nucleus had a dispersed layout, by combining housing with haystacks and blocks and open spaces for the cultivation. The architectural remnants of the era are a rural Romanesque style.
The place where today sits Braojos became part of the community of Villa and land of Buitrago from the 18 July of 1096, When King Alfonso VI of León and Castile assigned terms to this population. This is why it was governed according to the laws of the Commonwealth, Although Braojos came to have own Ordinances. She was also head of one of the seven quarters that divided the land of Buitrago. It depended on Navarredonda, San Mamés, Pinilla de Buitrago, Villavieja del Lozoya and La Serna del Monte. The land of Buitrago and its jurisdiction became part of the lordship of the Mendoza (later Dukes of Infantado) at the time of Pedro González de Mendoza. For this reason he was part of the province of Guadalajara, until their final inclusion in the Madrid in 1833. In the 16th century formed a single Council Braojos peoples, La Serna del Monte and the currently disappeared from Ventosilla.
During the early modern period, Braojos experienced balanced and remarkable growth. Local livestock, dominated by a small number of large landowners added the needs of transhumant cattle that crossed the term in a large number. Agriculture, limited by the conflict of uses, focused on rye, wheat and flax, It gave rise to a craft of cloth mill.
Towards 1847, Braojos had with 114 houses, a Palace of the Marqués de Perales and 96 neighbors. During the early modern period it grew splendidly for a term from high mountain dedicated to cattle ranching, possibly due to its strategic location. This led to the appearance of buildings of great importance and uniqueness.
Festivities and traditions
Among the most important traditions of the region, preserved La Pastorale, a dating back to the 15th century and dance that is danced in the Church on the night of Christmas Eve, on Christmas day, New year's day and Epiphany. It is represented with music, I sing and dance the offering of the best lambs to the newborn child.
Another custom of deep-rooted is the pilgrimage to the Hermitage of the Buen Suceso the 8 September. In it, the image of the Virgin goes in procession on a chariot adorned and flanked by horsemen from the parish.
Today Braojos maintains still a strong rural character and agricultural activities still configuring Essentials of local life and its landscape, defined by large areas of pasture and crops and livestock trails roads network. But a growing number of families has introduced in its income revenue from other sectors as construction, trade or catering.